There were more than 271,000 businesses operating in Ireland in 2017, the highest number on record, according to figures released recently from the Central Statistics Office.
A few other interesting statistics :
- this figure was up 8.5% on the 2016 figure of 250,033 companies
- these companies employed around 1.55 million people
- the services sector accounted for 51 % of these companies, the construction sector accounted for 21.1 %
- construction had the biggest jump in people employed between 2013-2017 at 50%
- services employment grew by 24.5% and industry by 21% in the same period
Small and Medium Enterprises accounted for 99.8% of the total of Irish businesses
It has never been a better time to set up a business in Ireland. Please get in contact if you want more information about setting up a business or growing your business.
Brendan Lawlor is a Business Consultant who specialises in helping start up companies, University spin outs and companies looking to grow through innovation and exporting.